About 8 months ago, I was contacted to create a quilt for a friend named Colleen. She wanted it king size and beachy, because she is from Cali, afterall. So we set about browsing the internet for ideas and inspiration, and pinned a ton of pins to Pinterest, and then finally narrowed down some ideas and color schemes.
I finalized a pattern, figured out measurements and yardage needed, etc. It took 11 yards for the back, and 14 yards for the front, plus a yard for binding. I finally got caught up on all my orders back in February and promptly cut into all the fabrics we chose. Piecing took hardly any time at all! Or at least it was a lot less time than I imagined. I ended up using 9″ half square triangles (HSTs) to create the chevrons and it took a ton of planning to ensure all lined up well and where in the right spots.
It took me a few days to get the quilt pieced and then it was time for basting. I had to absolutely remove all furniture from my tiny living room, scoot it all into the tiny kitchen and baste on a time crunch! I obviously couldn’t block all access to food for very long, haha. As you can see, it literally took up my whole living room.
I managed to get all the quilting done in three days. I used Aurifil in 2024 and echoed the chevrons. 1/2″ outside of each seam, and then 2-3/4″ from each seam, down the center of each of row. I think it worked well and helped keep the quilt from shrinking up too much either.
Anyways, enough rambling, here are the photos.
Final Size | 96″ x 108″
Fabrics Used | Various
Thread | Aurifil 50 wt. in White 2024
Batting | Warm and Natural 100% Cotton